What are the things to take into account when you’re looking for a sewing machine for quilting?
Choosing a machine for quilting is a much different proposition than choosing one for basic occasional use. If you’re on a limited budget it’s more important to have a reliable machine that sews well than have extra bells and whistles on an unreliable one.
Sewing Machine for Quilting – essential things to look for
- A good straight stitch – essential when piecing fabric together.
- The option to disengage feed dogs – needed for free motion quilting.
- Variety of feet – these add extra functionality and a walking foot is a must for moving the 3 layers through evenly.
- Throat space – this is the space on the right of the needle where your quilt will get shoved through during quilting, the bigger the better!
- Variable speed motor – helps to give good control when free motion quilting.
- Extension table – to the left of the needle for those larger quilts.
- Marked measurements on the needle plate – this makes it much easier to achieve accurate 1/4″ seams.
- Build quality – it’s important to check this. Sewing quilts puts a heavy strain on any machine, a flimsy plasticky machine won’t last long.
- Lighting – look for sewing machines with more than one light that are angled well onto the work surface. Bright LED lights are the best.
- Instructions – are they easy to follow and does the machine come with a DVD?
Read moreSewing Machines for Quilting